Welcome to the Sinai desert mountains!
Over the years, our Bedouin guides have put together a selection of their favourite Sinai treks.
Some are for experienced trekkers, others great for families or getting your first taste of the Sinai desert of Egypt.
The treks cover a diverse landscape: stunning formations, high peaks and plateaus, deep canyons, palm tree oases, Bedouin settlements, rolling dunes and rare desert blooms in spring.
But the unexpected bonus of trekking in Sinai is seeing how your Bedouin guides move through their desert home. Taking people on safari is more than earning a living for our guides – it’s sharing the Bedouin life with the world.
These 1 and 2 day desert trips visit key sites but also get you off the beaten track and into the real Sinai. Some are by jeep, others trekking with camels. If you have time, we recommend a night in the desert.
Which Trek is for You?
Some guidance on figuring out which trek is good for you…
- Desert day trips and overnight camping – mass market bus tours might be cheap, but they don’t get you anywhere near the real Sinai. Try these alternative desert trips
- For 3-6 days trekking the sandstone landscape from Dahab, trek Sinai’s El Guna Plateau to Ein Khudra oasis or Arada’s Deep Desert Trek by Camel.
Any of the trips above can be extended/tailored to include Mt Sinai and St Catherine monastery
- For weekend or short desert trips from Cairo, you can’t get further off the beaten track than Serabit El Khadem. Do a jeep safari for 2-4 days, or stay at the Muzra Bedouin guest house if you’d like a central base from which to explore. You can also visit this area from Dahab or Sharm, it just takes a bit longer to get there.
- Jebel El Tih Passage is remote trekking for 7-9 days and easily one of the best treks in Egypt. Start from Cairo or Dahab.
- And finally, if you want to see it all, join our annual Trans Sinai Trek, 14-29 November.
‘Safaris’ are a mix of offroad jeep and hiking. They get you to more places by covering larger distances by jeep, then explore further on foot. Safaris are 1-4 days
‘Treks’ are trekking with camels. Ride your camel or walk alongside, enjoy stunning landscape and the rhythm of the Sinai desert